Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Remote Add Domain User to local Admin Group

I have a bunch of computers in classrooms and teachers like being able to install software on those computers...most of the time it is items that I would do myself if I had the time, but it is more convenient to have the staff do it for me since they want to use it.  Anyway, I found these instructions that add a user to the local administrators group.  I can run this remotely from my desk without having to get up and travel to the remote location.

I followed these instructions to do this, so I am not the one who figured this out, just want to make it easier for the next guy to find.

1. Get a copy of PSTools from Microsoft.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896649


2. Open a command prompt and run psexec.

  psexec.exe \\computername cmd.exe


3. Add the user.

  net localgroup administrators domain\user /add


That is all there is to it.  Have the user sign into the computer with their own credentials and they now have permissions to install on the computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment